Monday, April 11, 2011

Test...

Last night was truly an experience that tested my ability to handle an emergency.
My incredible husband had decided to make me a surprise special dinner just because. I was in our bedroom when I heard him call out LOUDLY, as a came into the kitchen he was on his knees clutching his hand, all he was saying was 'lots of blood'. I started to freak out just a little.
We took him into the bathroom to run water over it. He then proceeded to tell me that he was washing the knife up in the sink and his hand slipped over the blade cutting his right palm under his thumb and pinkie.
As he was telling me this all the colour had left his face. NOT GOOD.
He then told me he was pretty sure he was about to pass out, I caught him just as he fell sideways. 'CRAP' is all I could manage to say.
I got a towel under his head and tried to figure out what to do.
Thankfully my girlfriend had been coming over and arrived just in time.
She knocked on the door, i opened it freaking out and in my pj's.
She came to the rescue. Piling hubby into the car as he had finally come to, we heading to the emergency department. There was a lovely nurse there to help patch him up and send us into the doctor for further treatment.
He is now home with a bandage on his hand for the next 48hours. Thankfully it was not too serious.

What I learnt.........I'm not always great in these kind of emergencies. Something i need to work on considering i have 2 adventurous boys who at some point will probably be coming to me with something more than just a scratch. Time to brush up my first aid skills.

Kristie xx

6 comments:

  1. Oh no!
    Ouch, poor guy!
    Hope he's recovering well.
    I suck with those sorts of things too...blood and vomit are not things I deal with well...which kinda sucks when you have 3 children 6 and under!
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny you say that babe, cause I always see you as so calm and collected and always in control! I'm glad B is all good xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. ew. I was cringing just reading that. You sound like you handled it well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's harder to detach yourself from something like this when it's someone you love. I have had the same thing happen when it has been my hubby or one of our children..I just seem to shut down but if it's anyone else I manage to maintain a clear head and do what needs doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kristie
    Visiting from over on Em's blog. So lovely to meet you and your family. Hope hubby is doing way better after that scare :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. how amazing of you! it sounds like you really kept your cool and handled it. i would have freaked out! i hope he's well!

    ReplyDelete